Posted on Monday 27 March 2017
Springboard’s FutureChef is the best industry-backed resource matched to the food related curriculum. Aimed at young people aged 12 - 16, it inspires them to cook through:
• Classroom resources & activities
• Industry skills demos & challenges
• Competitions & awards
• Directly support the food curriculum
• Offer interactive classroom resources
• Nurture industry links
• Teach life skills and build confidence
• Promote healthy eating and nutrition
And as David Mulcahy (Culinary Director, Sodexo UK & Ire, Head Judge) put it yesterday speaking at the final; "It's really important as employers that we get to people who are young and keen and find a way to get them into the industry"
Read more about the UK Chef Skills Shortage, with our blog featuring previous National Chef of the Year winner, Russell Bateman.
Katie Cooper, 16 Years Old - University College Birmingham, Birmingham.
Katie's Main consisted of Pan-fried sea bass with cauliflower puree and a red wine reduction. Her Dessert was a Chocolate cheesecake and raspberry with caramel shards.
Katie spoke to Springboard's FutureChef and said of her inclusion in the National Final: "I have taken part in FutureChef for the past three years and have finally reached the National Final and I cannot wait to compete. Working with a mentor has been brilliant - I have learnt so many new skills and have been introduced to many industry contacts. In the next five years, I would love to be completing stages in yop Michelin Star restaurants in London, Birminham and abroad."
The winning school will receive vouchers to the value of £500 and Katie will receive a commerative plate courtesy of Lockhart Catering Equipment.
Watch the moment she was crowned FutureChef National Final Winner 2017 on the 27th March 2017 from Lockhart's Live Facebook Stream...
• Olatunde Odu - East England. School: Queensbury Academy
• Holly BlockleyEast Midlands. School: The Priory LSST
• Katie Cooper - West Midlands. School: University College Birmingham
• Mollie Robinson - Northern Ireland. School: Lisnagarvey High School
• Anna West - South West. School: Penair School
• Kieran Jones - London. School: Homewood School and Sixth Form Centre
• Isabella Harten - Central & South Scotland. School: High School of Glasgow
• Leigh Speight - North East. School: Dronfield Henry Fanshawe School
• Mathew Jackson - North West. School: Marple High School
• Amy Campbell - North Scotland. School: Hazlehead Academy
• Charlotte Fife - South East. School: Invicta Grammar School
• Lowri Rowlands - Wales. School: Ysgol Bro Dinefwr
The finalists plated up their beautiful creations on Lockhart's exclusive Creme Monet plates.
Bethan Disley-Jones from Merseyside dazzled the judges, who included Brian J. Turner CBE., at the National Final at London’s Westminster Kingsway College on Monday 14th March with her sophisticated chef skills. Read our full article on her winning day here.
Past FutureChef winners have gone on to do remarkable things. On the Lockhart Catering blog you may have seen our interview with young female chef Ruth Hansom who won Springboard’s FutureChef competition in 2012, and was offered a scholarship at the prestigious Westminster College as a result of her win, before going on to become an apprentice at London’s The Ritz and became the first ever female Young National Chef of the Year winner this year! Click below to read Ruth's profile in The Caterer:
Lockhart Catering Equipment is proud to sponsor such a fantastic event, for more updates and articles, follow the conversation over on Twitter!
We support most major credit and debit cards